Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Perspective

This has been a long couple of weeks. Work is so busy right now, and I'm overwhelmed with everything that needs get done, like, yesterday. Ever have one of those weeks? Like everything collides and you barely have time to breathe? I come home at night and collapse on the couch, have barely seen my husband, and have laundry from weeks ago piled up.

Then something happens in your life and makes you realize that you have it pretty good. All the laundry, extra time at work, and tiredness that I complain about seems so silly in comparison.

Some things have happened this week that have made me step back and really think about how blessed my life is. Ben lost one of his friends and co-workers this week. He was only 27 years old and decided to take his own life. It was so sudden and no one had a clue. No one had any idea of the demons he was fighting in his life. Perspective.

I ride in a vanpool and last Friday it was just me and one other guy. On the way home he asked me some personal and kind of odd questions and had a lot to say about life that left me a little confused when I got off the van. In fact, right when I got in my car to drive home from the park and ride, I called Ben and told him that I just had the strangest conversation with a man I barely know. Then this week I found out that he is going through some really tough times in his family life. He is basically playing Mr. Mom to 8 kids right now. Suddenly, our conversation made perfect sense. Perspective.

I know that I'm not going to stop complaining about silly things. Because I will. But at times like this, from where I sit, my life is pretty good. I have an incredible, strong husband that I love very much, a great family, wonderful friends, amazing church family and, most importantly, a God that is bigger than any problem that I or anyone in the world will face.

The Lord is my ROCK, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my ROCK in whom I take refuge. Psalms 18:2

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing that. We all need reminding every now and then, though I am sorry that it had to be so painful. I pray for comfort and healing for that family.

JJB said...

Thank you for sharing in this beautiful perspective. I so easily get caught up in "the little things," allowing myself to stress over situations that won't matter a week, month, or year from now. God truly is faithful, and I need to commit to trusting His provision, completely and totally.

I will pray for Ben's friend, that the Lord works through this pain to create a miraculous representation of His love. I will pray for comfort and healing for his family. Thank you for your tender hearts...