Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, September 12, 2008

yIKEs

While watching the news earlier this morning (because that's ALL that's on right now) Ben and I happened to see our zip code flash across the screen telling us what wind and rain to expect. I have to say, seeing our zip code and then "76 mph winds with 4-8" of rain" made Ike a little more real. We live 90+ miles inland so I really don't understand all the yahoos still hanging around Galveston right now. That island is already under water and the storm is still 150 miles away! Crazy.


We've had several friends and family calling us today and last night and to answer everyone's question: Yes, we are planning to stay here in Houston and ride out the storm. All of the city officials have advised people not in "Mandatory Evacuation" areas to just stay put and not get out on the road. So here we are. Waiting.
We aren't sure how long we'll keep the power (and hoping to never lose power) so we went out last night and got a few things to pass the time either way. A couple of crafty projects for me if we don't have power and some movies if we do.
Being the worry-wort that I am, I stocked up on batteries MONDAY night. Yeah, when the storm was like a 1,000 miles away. This time it was a good thing I am a world-class worry-er!

I also bought all this water and food when Gustav was potentially coming to Houston. Again, my overly-cautious nature is paying off! Ben may have laughed at me then, but who's laughing now buddy?? The grocery stores were BANANAS yesterday, so I was pretty glad I had all this stuff.

We also have a gas grill, so never fear! We won't have to live off of this stuff!
And, as a pre-caution, we also filled up both bathtubs with water. I've been at the cabin when we haven't had running water, and believe me, it's not a situation I am excited about. Call me crazy, but in the event plumbing isn't available to me, I'd like to be able to flush the toilet and not have to go in the backyard ;)

All of that being said, we've already discussed that in the event we lose power for more than a couple days, we are high-tailing it outta here. We like our AC and lights :)


And that, my friends, is our Hurricane Ike plan.

5 comments:

susan said...

sounds like you thought this one through, and i'm glad. you're two less people to worry about.
stay safe and artsy :)

John and Bevin said...

We will have you guys in our thoughts and prayers! Hope all goes okay for ya'll and that the storm passes with out any major difficulties for you guys!

The Fletchers said...

What about Dixie?! All this planning and no mention of the pup?! Mary would be so disappointed !! :)

Hope you guys stay safe!

Amanda said...

I hope you guys are safe. We were in one of the mandatory evacuation zones so we left to go to Killeen where Jeremy's sister lives.

Anonymous said...

you've thought of everything...!

hi! its danielle from australia. i found your blog from facebook :)