Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic-mania

I love the Olympics. Everything about them. I am utterly amazed and in awe of the athletes that compete in these games- the training, devotion, drive and pure athleticism.


What's even better about sitting on the couch, watching them for hours on end every night is that I don't feel quite so lazy doing so. After all, it is the Olympics. It's pretty much my duty as an American to watch Phelpsie sweep every event that he participates in while breaking world records. How can supporting my fellow Americans be considered lazy?

It's so hard to pick my favorite event to watch. This year, I have to say it has been any race that Michael Phelps participates in. That man is a machine in the water. I truly feel like I am watching greatness and history being made when he is swimming. If you haven't gotten a chance, WATCH HIM SWIM. Even if you aren't a swimming fan, you will enjoy watching him beat the pants off of pretty much everybody he swims against AND break world records. You'll also get to see his mama cheering him on in the stands and the pure joy and pride on her face everytime he wins. I'm not kidding, I cried the other night when he gave his Winner's Bouquet to her in the stands.

A new favorite of mine is synchronized diving. Ben and I were completely blown away by the Chinese women divers. It was amazing to watch.

My old faithful of the Summer Olympics would have to be gymnastics. I have so many memories growing up of watching gymnastics. My oldest sister, Terri, was a gymnast, and was competitive for a while, so our house was always tuned into gymnastics. I prefer women's over men's, but I am happy with watching either. I don't know what it is- the nervousness of watching them flying through the air, seeing if they can stick a landing, or the glitter and million and a half clips they wear in their hair (which, I have to say, I am proud of Team USA for not wearing so many, but we need to address the SCRUNCHIE issue immediately) but I LOVE watching these events. My absolute favorite to watch is the vault.

Speaking of women's gymnastics, anyone actually believe any of the girls on the Chinese team are actually 16 years old?

And my parting question is: What is your favorite Olympic event to watch??

4 comments:

susan said...

i couldn't agree with your picks more. although, i couldn't believe the girls' gymnastics luck last night. i guess on to the all around later this week!

Mary said...

GIRLS'S GYMNASTICS!!!

Jessie said...

Swimming is my favorite this year. I LOVE Michael Phelps!

askow said...

I enjoy watching swimming with gymnastics as a close second. Glad someone else noticed the scrunchie debacle. You would think the US women would do better... this is my very first comment on your blog by the way.