Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, August 11, 2008

The week of unexpected (but welcome!) guests...

Last week was such a crazy, good week! Here's what went on...


Monday- I had jury duty. Let me just start out by saying that I loathe jury duty. I am TERRIFIED of being put on a jury. I have an insane fear of criminals that probably stems from watching one too many crime-based TV shows (umm, hello, CSI and Law and Order), but it is what it is- I can't quit watching those shows now. How will I ever find out if Horatio Caine is alive or if Grissom really is gone after this season? Anyway, I digress. The point is, I was scared out of my mind to show up at 8am and check in for what I was sure was going to be the worst day of my life when I would come face to face with some hardened criminal. I even went so far as to solicit prayers about it from my husband, ask my dad for advice as to what to say to get out of my civic duty (he has NEVER been chosen!) and ask my mom what in the world she said to get picked the last time she went so that I could certainly avoid saying anything that resembled it. I felt like I had my bases covered and I was prepared to say what I needed to convince the attorneys that they did NOT want me on their jury. WELL, now for the most anti-climatic ending to this story possible: My number wasn't even called! Hallelujah! I strolled out of the court house at 11am, feeling pretty good about jury duty.

The day gets better.

I called work to check in and see if I needed to go back only to discover that work was shutting down early because of Tropical Storm Edouard! WOOHOOO! And no work the next day! WOOHOOO!

About 5 minutes later I got a call from my sisters who were vacationing in Galveston with the little kiddos telling me that they were leaving their resort because of Edouard. After a little convincing, they decided to come vacation/seek refuge at Hotel Bayles. I'm just glad they escaped that menacing storm. ;)


Tuesday- Storm Day! Poor Ben had to go to work :( So while it wasn't the worst storm ever, it still rained all day long, we lost power for over an hour, and we had a 2, 3 and 4 year old cooped up all day long. So what do you do with 3 toddlers when you can't go outside or anywhere?

Ring around the Rosie
Bake a cake- with some little assistants


Oh, and you watch the 2-year old LIKE A HAWK. Little Miss Emmie is one BUSY girl. If you don't see or hear from her for longer than 30 seconds, she is definitely up to something, usually no good. Whether it's breaking into the pantry and dumping bread crumbs all over the place or sneaking juice boxes or getting into someone's luggage and rubbing deoderant all over her face, she is always up to something. She's a cutie, but you have to watch this one!

Hallie the cheerleader

Wednesday and Thursday- back to work :(

Friday- Shopping at the Galleria. Oh. My.Word. If only we had a video camera with us that day. We had quite the run in with the escalator by the foodcourt. With the 3 kids, we had a double-stroller and an umbrella stroller to transport them around, which worked out great. Every kid had a place to sit and we had an adult to push each one, plus an extra to carry packages. Super. Except that these strollers are posessed by Satan himself. The steering is HORRIBLE, you push one way and end up going the other or sideways, the double one doesn't fit in most stores without knocking stuff over, etc. Well, around lunchtime the kids are grumpy because they are hungry and we can't figure out a good way to get down to the food court from the second floor. So we decide to tackle the escalator.

BIG MISTAKE.

We tell the two big kids to hop out, thinking they can hold on and handle the ride down to make it easier on the stroller operators.

BIG MISTAKE.

Jack goes first, then Hallie. Somewhere between walking to the escalator and actually stepping to the first step, Hallie trips on her flip-flop. Then Jack falls. Terri abandons her station of helping Karen with the double stroller to catch Jack and Hallie. I hop on with the umbrella stroller and we are committed to this despite the rocky start. As we near the end, Jack and Hallie are already traumatized by the "feet-eating" stairs and are sort of freaking out about getting off. Again, somehow Hallie trips on her flip flop. Jack falls. Terri jumps off to pick them up. The double stroller decides to go SIDEWAYS instead of straight off and gets wedged at the end of the escalator. It is STUCK. People are piling up behind us- like literally slamming into me. I have the umbrella stroller picked up and holding it over the double one. Karen is stuck, so she decides to try and wedge herself between the handrail and the stroller to get it out.

BIG MISTAKE.

Needless to say, Karen ends up flat on her back with her feet up in the air and the devil-stroller (with Emmie still in it) on top of her.

OH THE HORROR.

Luckily, there were several businessmen eating lunch nearby that came running to our aid and lifted the stroller off her and helped her up.

Oh, and there were about 100 people in the near vicinity to witness all of this as well.

We were strictly elevator people for the rest of the day. And we made Hallie take the flip flops off.

The Weekend- Our houseguests left early Saturday morning to go pick up their other halves and Adam at the airport in Austin from their backpacking trip in Colorado. Ben had left even earlier to go fishing at the coast. This is what he brought me back.

Yep, those sure are sharks. I won't go into how I told him the last time he came back with tales of fishing in shark-infested water that he was to NOT mess with sharks anymore. If you knew his track record with accidents, you would forbid him also.

You can see how good that lecture worked.

So, if anyone knows any great recipes involving shark, let me know! Someone has already suggested shark soup and I have one word about that: SICK.

Whew! If you've made it this far, hats off to you!

2 comments:

The Fletchers said...

Loved your post... so many details!!!!! :)

Let me know how that shark soup tastes!

Mary said...

possibly one of your best posts.

i can't believe how old hallie looks. your nieces/nephews are growing up so fast!

what about shark roast? shark steak? shark & cheese croissants?