Ben returns from galavanting around Wyoming/Utah/Montana tonight! Yipeee! He was up there for work this past week giving some training in Rock Springs, WY and decided to spend the weekend after up there exploring. I am so ready for him to come home! Truth be told, I am a little bit of a chicken when it comes to staying by myself. I was so proud of myself this week- I slept good almost every night (with a little help from Tylenol PM a couple nights), remembered to feed the dogs every day, did some shopping, and I even cooked myself a nice little dinner one night (which I never do when it's just me- seems like such a waste!).
Then last night happened. I don't pretend to be tough. I am a self-proclaimed "scaredy cat." When I am alone, I sleep with the TV on, the house alarm set, and all phones, keys and a weapon (used to be a kitchen knife or hammer (yeah I don't know about that- guess I am comfortable using a hammer?)) all within reach. It may not seem like a big deal to many people, but those of you that are chickens like me can probably relate to the fear, freaking out and overactive imagination. I'm all snuggled in bed, asleep for about an hour, and then I wake up to Dixie barking her little head off and growling. Since we have a leaded glass door and she can see out, Dixie ONLY barks when she is inside if 1) there is someone at the door, 2) there is some sort of animal on our porch or in the yard or 3) a strange car pulls up. Of course the second my eyes pop open at 12 am to Dixie's deep bark, my first thought goes straight to #1. Great. What in the world am I going to do?? Someone is trying to BREAK INTO MY HOUSE. What I want to do is go back to sleep and pretend that Dixie isn't barking. Finally, I muster up some courage and pretend I am a big girl, grab the phone, open the drawer that the gun is in (yes, I know how to use it, but it is my LAST resort) so that I can get to it quickly, and unlock and open my bedroom door. There is Dixie waiting at our front door, still standing up with her tail straight up in the air looking out at the front yard. So, I say a quick prayer, turn on some lights, and with the phone in hand, ready to dial 9-1-1, I walk over to Dixie and peek out the door. Nothing. I took a better look and THERE WAS NOTHING OUT THERE. Silly me. It was probably just some stupid cat wandering around. I might have been a tad dramatic since it is far more likely that she saw a stray animal at midnight on our front porch than a robber, but, in my defense, logic was not on my side at that point.
I am so glad that Ben is coming home tonight.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Ben comes home TONIGHT :)

Posted by
Paula
at
4:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
um...i would've been pretty freaked out. i can't believe you actually got up to check!!! and who knows, maybe fierce dixie did actually scare someone away (hopefully not though). way to go!
Sounds like a stressful evening. Hopefully you rewarded yourself for being such a big girl with some fun outfits !! Kind of strange that you sleep with a knife, hammer and gun next to your bed... but hey, whatever helps! Glad you are safe!! :)
ok, i don't sleep with all of those by my bed. just one at a time. and since i learned how to use the gun, i don't need the knife or hammer anymore :)
I TOTALLY sympathize! The first time Jeremy left me alone I went to sleep at my parents house! I can't do that anymore...
Glad everything turned out ok!
Post a Comment