Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stir Crazy

Here are some pictures from right after Ike at our house. They really aren't that good and don't really do justice to what it looked like outside after, but here they are!
View from our backyard of the half a tree that fell on our house and just BARELY missed a window.
Looking outside the window at the tree- you can see how close it came to it
this is the tree cut up and at the curb- it was a LOT of tree- just gives a better idea of how big it was and how lucky we are that it didn't do any damage

the dogs when we evacuated to the Ksionda's in CS- clearly they were traumatized (the black lab is Lucy, the Ksionda's dog- we didn't get a third!)


it was a big block party when we came home on Monday- Ben went out and played football with the neighborhood kids...and came away pretty beat up, poor guy

Let me start this by saying how incredibly thankful and blessed I am to have our house virtually untouched by Ike. We have not been displaced or inconvenienced even a fraction of the time or ways that others have been. My heart truly does go out to those that have not been able to go back home, if they have a home left, those that do not have power yet, and those whose family has been affected by all of this. We are MORE than happy to share our electricity "wealth" with friends and co-workers. I am also thankful that my work is so considerate of their employees and did not require us to go into the office this week, while paying us. I know we are some of the lucky ones.

That being said, I AM GOING CRAZY AT HOME. Nothing is open. I may have reached my limit on TV watching. We don't have anything left to cook except deer meat...from last season. I thought I would be in heaven staying at home all week with nothing to do but watch the dogs and cook dinner. Boy was I wrong. I think an integral part of my dream of staying home full time is that the rest of the world is still functioning (ie, Target is at least open).

I have done a few things since I have been home all week (uhhh besides work from home...). I am now addicted to Project Runway. WHY HAVE I NOT WATCHED THIS SHOW ALL ALONG?? I love it. I learned how to do headers for the blog (see above). I worked on some crafty things...mostly unsuccessful, unfortunately. I've changed the sheets on all the beds in the house. We housed some "evacuee" friends. I've watched countless hours of the "Road to Recovery" as local news stations are calling the aftermath of Ike. So yeah, it's been a busy week. ;)

3 comments:

Mama said...

love the new header! and i love project runway! good choice.

Mama said...

oh ooops...this is cara's computer...but really mary :)

Lauren said...

Glad to know your house was spared! And love the new header...so crafty!