Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dream Job

Ben and I are quite the roadies. Between both of our families living out of town, the season tickets to almost every Aggie sporting event (ok, maybe it just feels that way sometimes) and living in one of the worst cities for traffic, we get plenty of car time. While not all of our commuting is done together, when Ben and I are in the car together, I have found it is one of the best times to talk. And I mean really talk. We have been known to not even turn on the radio during the three hour trip to and from San Antonio! I learn so much about my husband just by talking in the car- from what kind of trouble he got into growing up (by the way, if its true, “what goes around comes around” then we are in a heap of you-know-what because of his shenanigans) to what is the one eccentric thing he would do if he were a gazillionaire (wear a new pair of socks everyday right out of the package and never wear a pair twice). After 5 years of being together and taking road trips all over the great state of Texas (and a few others) we have recycled some topics. The last interesting one that we talked about was what our dream job would be. As I have mentioned before, my husband is a man of many hobbies, so he has several dream jobs in mind that are centered around these hobbies, depending on where life takes us. However, his absolute dream job at the moment is to own a custom furniture company. And I have to say, of all his hobbies, his love of building furniture is probably my favorite one. And, while I might be a bit biased, he is really good at it! Here is what he's built so far for our house...
chest in our bedroom
Ben's first piece- 2 years ago he built this while I was out of town for work as a surprise


this isn't furniture, but Ben also built our mantle- all the way around. When we moved in there was nothing there- just tile

entry way table

coffee table- tiled on top. sorry the pic is kind of blurry :)

TV Cabinet...and yes, those are VHS you see in there!

see a trend with the black furniture?! end table

armoire

Aren't I the luckiest girl in the world?? I browse through Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, Southern Living, etc and he builds it! He considers these amateur pieces now and tells me almost every day how he wants to rebuild everything in our house now that he has better tools, techniques, experience, etc. I think he is so talented and love everything he has built for me! And of all the great furniture he has built, this is his favorite...

his fishing pole holder

I know this is just a hobby for now, but be on the lookout for a Custom Furniture by Benjamin in the future! After my list is done, we'll be ready to take orders ;)

3 comments:

Mary said...

i have a whole slew of requests. when you're done with him, he's all MINE! bedroom furniture, doghouse, baby furniture... (NOT YET, just thinking ahead)

Lauren said...

Aw! Look at you and your cute little house and husband and life. So exciting! I feel like I haven't seen ya'll in so long! I know you haven't seen Caden, and he is 2 now, so it's probably been 3 or so years, wow, how time flies!

The Stewarts said...

Paula.... after mary is through....its my turn to use your husband... but i am really serious... he does a great job! I would love to purchase a coffee table from him!!