Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patty's Resolutions? Sure!

OK, before I get going on my St. Patty's resolutions, I have one thing to discuss.

Is American Idol not cool to watch and keep up with?? Just the other day I was talking to a girl at work and she was trying to convince me to watch Dancing With the Stars this season. I explained to her that I was already committed to AI, and since that is about a 45 hours a week time committment I really couldn't add DWTS, which is also on 45 hours a week- or so it seems. So then she tells me that AI is soooo early 2000's and that I needed to get with the times and move on. Now I KNOW there are tons of followers of AI, given that they have millions and millions of voters each week, but are they all the losers and teeny-bopper or old people? I am already hooked for this season, so it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious what everyone thinks about AI. The more I think about it, I don't really know anyone my age that is keeping up with AI this year...maybe I am un-cool.

On to the real reason I am writing...

Ben and I have decided to challenge ourselves for 3 months with eating healthier and working out more. I am completely cutting out ALL fried foods until June (good bye french fries, chicken tenders and my beloved Chic-fil-a) and making myself walk/jog 2 days a week. I know, the working out part sounds lame and not very challenging, but I have to be realistic or I won't get anything done! Ben is cutting out fried foods and cokes and taking on the working out challenge as well. I'm glad I talked him into doing this with me! We desperately need motivation, so we have prizes in mind for the end of 3 months if we stick with it, as well as "penalties" for cheating. There is some confusion on Ben's part about a fish fry he says he will have if he catches a lot of fish before the end of the 3 months, but I think we have that little hypothetical straightened out ;)

So it might seem weird that we are deciding to do this in the middle of March. It's not the New Year, the start of Lent, or any special day. There have been several factors leading up to this decision. Most recently, I found our video camera and started watching old videos from the cruise we took on our honeymoon over 3 years ago. If you've ever wondered how I occupy my time while Ben is at night school, there you have it! That was one of the worst/best ideas I have had in a long time. We were both right out of college and let's just say we were in much better shape. It made me a little depressed to see how I used to look in a swimsuit. There was also my shopping trip to Banana Republic this weekend. While I am convinced (along with my friend at work and a nice girl I met in the dressing room) that their sizing is a little bit off this spring, I cannot completely blame that for everything looking horrible on me. Even Ben, who is one of the skinniest people I know, is complaining of his clothes being tight! It's time to get in better shape and take better care of our bodies! Even though I am challenging us for only 3 months, I hope we start some good habits that will last much longer.

I guess I am sharing this with the blog world in hopes of this public announcement holding us to our little challenge. I'll be sure to document when we finish it!

6 comments:

Mary said...

good luck with the challenge! i will just eat chick-fil-a for you, how's that?

on to AI. yeah...not so cool anymore paula. hate to break it to you but...

JJB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJB said...

OH NO! You must wait to start this until after cheese enchilada day!!!

Paula said...

don't worry, i will still eat these cheese enchiladas you speak of, Julie! unless they are fried...then i'll have to find something else.

askow said...

My entire office watches AI and we all come to work and talk about it. I don't think you're lame, no matter what Mary says.

I think I will also jump on your St. Patty's Resolution bandwagon (ok, maybe a scaled down version). I couldn't help but notice on the ski trip that my hot tub body isn't quite what it used to be...

Unknown said...

hey! What a great resolution! It's perfect to know that you guys are doing this because Michael and I are back to the gym on Monday morning - we've been SO busy at work it's so hard to get up and go. I'm glad to know you'll be sticking with your resolve as well.

PS. We went to dinner with three other couples last night that ALL talked about American Idol. While you were feeling uncool for watching, Michael and I were feeling out of the loop for Not!